GearStorm Forum

Author   Comment  
GearStormTrooper

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 
I found a significant bug and worked around it.  I'm putting this here for documentation purposes.  We may have other sideeffects of the root cause that is as-of-yet undetermined.

So I've tested this 1000 times.  A few days ago(4/11/2018), in multiplayer clients were falling through the terrain.  No changes around the timeframe seemed to account for it.  I haven't found the root cause.  The only indication I have is that the Client ShooterPlayerController cant seem to communicate to the TerrainManager.  Or more precisely, it can, but the terrainmanager behaves like a client role when it does.  

This was important for tracking client location.  To work around it,  I rewrote the code to track the player directly from server world data rather than client events.  That frankly is better but doesn't explain why this stopped working.  Or what else could be broken because of that issue.

Only facts 

Looks like the Terrain problem may be new, MP for terrain has been working for years
In the Build as of 4/7/2018 The Client can connect to the server and generate terrain
Although ShooterController sends server call, it is heard on Role 1
GearStormTrooper

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm curious, that I may have introduced a bug for MP-PIE.  I'm registering TerrainManagers with the XiObjectDB singleton that the Clients then call instead of keeping their own reference.  PIE may be failing on this since there is probably one singleton for the entire editor.

This is just a theory atm.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.