GearStorm Forum

Author   Comment  
NachoBiznezz

Dev
Reply with quote  #1 

If you press "ESC" and select "SETTINGS"

This brings you to the "QUALITY" page and this is where you will remain as pressing "CLOSE" will only render your character permanently immobile and no key on the keyboard will perform any action.

I can look into fixing this as I am adding "SQUAD" option to the "ESC" menu.

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks again for the report.

Just submitted an update that should address it.

It's probably a good time to explain what's going on with the menus.

We started writing this game before Ue4 came out (in UE3).  A lot of our menu system is written pre-umg.  Inventory, crafting, etc. and written inside of the ShooterHud class as direct Canvas draws.

Since we started with ShooterGame, some of the older / default code like the Chat and ScoreBoard are Slate.

As we've been layering on,  a lot of the new stuff is UMG.  But neither Slate nor UMG handle, drag/drop very efficiently so we plan to keep the Canvas stuff for the foreseeable future.

Menus in Play are managed by a MenuMode setting in ShooterHud,  this is basically a simple state machine in the c++.

In order for our UMG to interact with this state, i decided to create a custom "close" function and a child of the UMG Widget.

Long story short,  I updated that widget function to take into account cases where widgets would be used outside of the ShooterHud

void UXiMenuWidget::Close()
{
    AShooterPlayerController* PC = Cast< AShooterPlayerController >( GetOwningPlayer() );
  if (PC)
  {
    if (AShooterHUD* HUD = Cast< AShooterHUD >(PC->GetHUD()))
    {
      // this both hides the menu and restores proper game input mode
      HUD->SetMenuMode(EXiMenuMode::MM_None);
    }
  }
  else //Not a ShooterPlayerController,  assuming in Main Menu Instead
  {
    RemoveFromParent();
  }
}

You are welcome to use the MenuMode system or not just don't break it.  

You can probably get a better sense of whats going on if you look at AShooterHUD::SetMenuMode if need be
NachoBiznezz

Dev
Reply with quote  #3 

I'd initially tapped into the MenuMode system with the Scoreboard but decided against it in the end so it didn't interfere with open maps, etc. during gameplay.

I broke it a few times figuring it out, but never let that code end up in a revision.

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks.  I appreciate you looking into it.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.