GearStorm Forum

Author   Comment  
Travis

Dev
Reply with quote  #1 
Hey, are there any significant differences in the human-printing technology used by ICA vs EDI vs MSF vs STE?

There's a big tech gap between these guys already due to when and where they occur in human history. So I'm curious.

Like, how fast can each makes clones? How good can the clones be? Anything special or unique about their tech?

I also have a general question about the printing tech. I know in-game there's continuity between clones, provided by the player. But is that there in the lore? Like, is Rainer-012 a fresh stamp of default Rainer or does 012 get imprinted with the memories of 1 thru 11? Or is this one of the areas where a tech difference shows up? Like maybe ICA and EDI can't memory transfer but MSF and STE can.

Bonus:
Looking at the timeline, I'm kinda thinking that these four factions might make great tech-tiers also. Instead of "Tier 1" research, you could have ICA tech, EDI tech, and so on. There's a lot of benefits to doing so,

1. Much more interesting than the generic T1, T2, etc.. 
  2. The tech tree would introduce the factions and give players an idea of how dangerous/powerful each is well before the players encounter them. That's good foreshadowing and world development right there.
  3. You could require the players to steal or acquire tech data from each faction in order to actually research the techs of that tier. That's good PvE right there (and a twist on the MC style) as it makes people explore your default map, take risks, leave their base, and investigate the other factions/history of Apollyon. (Ex: "Hey guys, ready to raid Northpoint? We need to unlock EDI tech.")
GearStormTrooper

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Yeah,  we really need to flesh this out.  If we were to equate the factions to Planetside analogs,  the MSF would be the Vanu, EDI is NC, and the ICA is the TR.  But some major differences.

EDI is the only organization with a primarily military objective and culture.  They are more like the TR&NC rolled into one.  They've formed a warlike brociety.  And the tribes cultures range from Brotherhood of Steel to Immotan' Joe's War Boys.

But, as far as game play, everyone uses licensed or stolen MSF Field-Bioprinter tech. Like a duplicating teleporter. Human DNA is easy to replicate, but local organic sources are needed to produce human compatible microfauna that can allow the subject to survive conditions on Apollyon. 

MSF memories are preserved by using subspacial quantum maps of the subject.  The backups are practically perfect but baselines need the subject to be present.  Incremental difs are taken and streamed through an implanted quantum transceiver.

The Vanguard uses accelerated Grow-Vats. Skeletal structure is usually 3d Printed and the subject is grown from synthetic stem cells that can later be infused with preserved subject DNA via CRISPR like tech. The process takes 3-4 weeks, but a cache is stocked up so the delay is minimized.

EDI's original tech was nanotech based.  It only took a few hours but was far inferior to MSFs tech.

Memories for EDI and ICA tech are cybernetic implants.  Clones more or less have a realtime encyclopedia of who their progenitor was but don't recall it as if they experienced it.  The implant runs muscle-memory simulations in the last stages of clone production so the clone will be battle ready.
Travis

Dev
Reply with quote  #3 
Awesome. That is super useful information.

So the big question this raises in my mind is - how did it come about that the EDI and ICA got the MSF tech? You mention licensing and theft but I would think the MSF would jealously guard such a precious advantage. Someone else having it sounds like a big deal. Esp since they are seemingly hostile.
GearStormTrooper

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
The EDI is much less cohesive than the MSF and ICA.  Some groups are much more collaborative than others.  Over the centuries, wars and skirmishes have ebbed and flowed.  Here are some of the events that lead to cross-pollination of technology.

1) ImmortalTown captured an MSF Colony pod as it was deploying.  They wiped out the initial fabricants and took the spoils for themselves.

2) MSF and EDI together formed New Atlanta, here the factions have really melded into one culture.  This is the most friendly (to ICA) source of EDI tech.

3) There have been several scavenging efforts by the EDI on the Old Endora colony.

Also,  I'm going to post on the Glossary about Licensing,  and the Xi software.

Xi -  Xi is not a corporation, as much as a runaway Malware Coin-Miner.  It is a sentient software that infects all computing networks on Apollyon.  Xi is extremely territorial (a very effective Anti-Virus) and governs all software and construction licenses.  It trades manufacturing licenses for XiCoins aka Research Points.
Travis

Dev
Reply with quote  #5 
Sweet.

Haha your in game admin is a rogue AI. I love it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.