GearStorm Forum

Author   Comment  
Travis

Dev
Reply with quote  #1 
Got to play a bunch this morning. Didn't get to build as much I'd have liked to due to crashes. I lose 15 minutes to each crash. Anyway, here's the unabridged notes from that session..

-I need to know the build number [in game] so I can add it to my notes and reports.
-Launching the game appears to do nothing until the game suddenly appears. Needs a loading graphic so people don't
think it didn't launch or it froze. Also to prevent people from accidentally launching multiple instances of the game. I almost launched it twice this morning even.
-Main game menu should have GearStorm logo prominently displayed.
-Suggestion: Display the "How to get started" text from the forum in a window the player can read while the drop pod is loading.
-Drop pod should make impact noise on landing. Bonus: dust up or particle effect on landing. Maybe a small crater even.
-Harvesting mode needs visual indication of progress.
-Placing objects (like the core) needs visual indication of progress.
-When mining. Special resources (gold, aluminum, things not stone) are almost impossible to see or not present at all. I spotted gold once.
-Events in notifications log (upper left of screen, red text) are lost in mining and killing spam. Also they are irretrievable due to lack of manual scroll option. There's
no way I'm gonna remember a cargo pod was lost at x=34.55 y=65.9 at a glance or even several glances.
-Menu opacity needs to be much lower. Since most crafting is done via terminals anyway, people are already vulnerable b/c they are standing
still and thinking about menus. Also the terminals are near the core so "safe". IMO, if sneaky attackers during menus is a problem deal
with it then. Hard to read menus is a game-breaker for many players (ex: Rachel).
-I've hard-crashed my computer many times playtesting. How do I send you logs?
-Loading sequence into drop pod is clunky. Also, unexplained what to do.
-Crashed again. I think desert biome has something that crashes me.
-Tried scavenging my drop pod. It looked like it worked but I got nothing for it.
-Dead bodies use the dirt harvesting effect.
-Playing in the forest crash-free.
-Was attacked by two raptor things. I killed one and the other kept attacking the air/corpse.
-Almost died as an experiment. I don't get the UI bars in the lower left. I have a suite UI with shields and green to red health. Or maybe that's armor?
The yellow 10 bar and the white 50 bar don't seem to do anything. What are they for?
-It is incredibly hard (impossible) to mine in a straight line.
-Center of the harvesting tools blue energy cross does not match the aiming crosshairs.
-Grass is coming up through my floors because I didn't clear the ground first. GRrr...
-I'm able to build wood walls when I have no wood.
-Why no stone walls?
-Desperately need numbered weapon switching.
-T Rex corpse gives me nothing when harvested.
-No amount of harvesting can make the T-Rex corpse vanish faster than default.
-Crafting Menus. Would love to see how much of the needed resources I have when looking at items. Ex: If the Fabricator takes 10 wood and
10 stone, it would show I have 2 wood and 4 stone (or 200 wood and 400 stone depending.)
-Smelter UI named Fabricator
-Using the research CPU paralyzed me (not a crash). ESC unstuck me though.
-Shadows are beastly. It's very hard to see most of the time. (See attached.)
-Monster lighting is too dark, I cannot see your expensive rendered models well.
-Trees are super hard to harvest sometimes due to thick branches. Very confusing. 

Lastly, I FRAPS a good ten minutes or so of gameplay to show natural use. How would you like me to get the vids to you? (They are big AF).

Attached Images
png HardToSee.png (2.33 MB, 7 views)

GearStormTrooper

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Man,  I'm really sorry you're having crashes.  That level of reliability isn't what's expected. I'm testing on 4 machines here.  How many crashes did you have? If you can send me your specs I'll look at that too.

Send me the contents of your "Saved" directory?  There are logs, etc in there that I can use to debug.  Also, the game "should" be autosaving anything you built.  Placing a spawnpad in your base will allow you to teleport back there from the start menu.

All in all, good points and suggestions.  If I don't address the point,  just assume that I agree whole-heartedly with you.  I'm going to datamine this to feed the Bug List or the Features (Roadmap) page.

I've been perplexed by why the splashscreen isn't working.  I'll keep looking at that.  Noted,  you need some feedback that the game launched! Mason hates this.

The Yellow and White Bars are "Power" and "Stamina"  neither are implemented yet.  Stamina will provide run and jump limits and also will act as a conciousness meter.  Players and mobs can be knocked out.  Power on the other hand charges your equipment.  Shield damage will drain power. Without power, the suit will loose most of it's function (no HUD, thrusters or running).  Melee, etc will be gimped.

I've got a stopgap for the core visual indication.  Not perfect,  but it'll be in the next release.  Also,  when harvesting,  the lines will speed up as harvesting progresses. Likely to subtle to notice.

For missions,  talk to NPC Merchants.  They keep a list of the available missions.  You can even tag one on your map.  A log/journal would help though.

Corpses are containers.  Open them with "E".  I'll look into "harvesting" as an alternate option.

Fix is coming for the research cpu.

I"m on the Stone Walls thing.  But likely wood walls are going away [smile]

Edit:The game should auto-adjust the brightness level.  I'll look into the shadows as well [smile]

For vids,  I usually just post to Youtube as unlisted,  or if you prefer send through Onedrive or DropBox.
Travis

Dev
Reply with quote  #3 
It's a pre alpha. I expect some crashing as par for the course.
GearStormTrooper

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
We actually have had some extensive lab testing.  4 clients for over an hour several times.  This worries me.  Can't wait to look at those logs.
GearStormTrooper

Administrator
Reply with quote  #5 
Adding some Icons and a numeric display for shields.  Does this help?

HealthBars.png

Travis

Dev
Reply with quote  #6 
Yeah! That makes things much easier to infer.
Travis

Dev
Reply with quote  #7 
Here's my saves folder and a dump of my hardware profile.

Attached Files
zip Saved.zip (13.33 MB, 1 views)
txt HardwareDump.txt (600.74 KB, 2 views)

Travis

Dev
Reply with quote  #8 
The crashes could be b/c my computer is a little jangly as well keep in mind. Fortnite crashes it sometimes too, but since it's Early Access, I didn't think much of it. For example: Nvidia added support for some kinda shadows and Fortnite added those shadows to the game that same week. I crashed until I applied the latest drivers.
GearStormTrooper

Administrator
Reply with quote  #9 
I've consulted the bones and here's what the tell me...

------------------
[2018.01.12-13.31.05:747][979]Closing by request
NOTE: Looks like a request to close by Player
-*----------------
[2018.01.04-03.14.33:658][ 0]LogContentStreaming: Texture pool size now 1000 MB
[2018.01.04-03.14.36:082][ 0]LogD3D11RHI: Error: Direct3DDevice->CreateBuffer(&Desc, NULL, UniformBufferResource.GetInitReference()) failed at C:\UnrealEngine-4.18.2\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11UniformBuffer.cpp:159 with error E_OUTOFMEMORY
NOTE: Failed to launch right out of the gate. Out of Memory error, this shouldn't happen on a 1060!
------------------
[2018.01.10-15.42.19:381][962]Closing by request
------------------
[2018.01.10-15.44.21:713][434]Closing by request
-*----------------
[2018.01.11-13.47.06:771][452]LogClass: AXiTerrainManager::Server Ran Priority 0 Generate Mesh Structure.
[2018.01.11-13.47.07:085][470]LogTemp: Xi:ZombieController Start Weapons Fire from Distance -1073741824.
[2018.01.11-13.47.07:595][500]LogTemp: Xi:ZombieController Start Weapons Fire from Distance 536870912.
NOTE: These are the last log entries, no indication of what happened. Did the CPU freeze here?
------------------
[2018.01.11-14.04.42:242][492]Closing by request
------------------
[2018.01.11-20.44.05:974][740]Closing by request
-*----------------
[2018.01.12-12.47.04:283][556]LogShooter: Warning: Saved 1223 total items.
NOTE: These are the last log entries, no indication of what happened. Did the CPU freeze here?
------------------

The failures I can see don't have any logging associated with them (except for the OUT_OF_Memory error).  Overall the logs indicate 3 failures.  Two of which are abrupt halts. If you're computer is hard freezing,  you probably do want to do a diag. Software failures, are usually associated with a logged assertion. One of the faults happened after a save,  that could indicate HDD errors or just be a red herring.

Travis

Dev
Reply with quote  #10 
The freezes were of the "force powering off my computer is the only option" type of freezes. 

How do I diag? This isn't the sort of trouble-shooting I have much experience with since I mostly worked with web programs and the like. They tend to have errors in server logs not windows.
GearStormTrooper

Administrator
Reply with quote  #11 
I don't want to send you off on a tangent but if you're seeing similar problems in Fortnite,  it's worth a look.

First i'd start with a HDD check. Look for bad sectors.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-signs-hard-drive-lifetime/

Also, for temps and cpu health run this while gaming
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Finally for a good CPU stresstest
https://www.mersenne.org/download/#stresstest

Travis

Dev
Reply with quote  #12 
I'll give those a try. Thanks. 

Two months ago, it was really really bad, but that turned out to be my video card's final days. I've a new one now which fixed the problem like 95%.

(btw, have you seen this site? http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-Group-/3609vs10 - It came in super handy when I had to shop for my new card.)
Travis

Dev
Reply with quote  #13 
Tried to play more today, but crashes abound. Tonight I'll run diagnostics and see what's up. I needed my computer today so I couldn't lock it down for the million years CHKDSK wants.

Anyway, I'm uploading video of one of the play sessions. Nothing special but I though you might find it useful to see what it looks like "in the wild" so to speak. Will link it when done.

Notes from today,
-Tried out the build gun light. It's not really useful TBH. 
-Saw the map had pre-done damage, not sure if this is from a previous play session or what. 
-How do I save/load my game? So far I've just been starting from scratch every play session.
-Opened a dead monster with E. Got meat! Yay!
-Game needs a "Press E" sort of indicator whenever I am able to use E to open or interact with an object I'm targeting.

Biggest note - The game is visually very confusing. Specifically the grass is always in my face and the trees are tricky to cut down cause I can't see anything for the branches. Add in the perpetually bad lighting situation and the overall experience is one where I can't see well/at all most of the time. I can't see threats, can't see where I'm going, can't find the tree trunk that should be in front of my face. It's all very frustrating. I'd land in the desert just to avoid all the grass but then I'd have no wood.

I can't prove this without multiplayer, but the grass is potentially a serious menace. When you are in it, you cannot see. The mini-map's overhead camera makes me think that a high-ground opponent would be able to see individuals in said grass though. So it's probably the opposite of useful concealment. More like hell's one-way mirror.

Looking forward to fixing my crashing issue so that I can hopefully get more than thirty minutes at a time played. I'd like to try these merchants and NPCs and such. And build something like a real base. I haven't achieved more than a half-building so far. There's a lot of fun looking pieces in the fabricator!
GearStormTrooper

Administrator
Reply with quote  #14 
I can see what i can do about the grass.  But,  actually, stealth is a part of the game.  Crouching or prone in the grass will hide you from predators (that's what the audio readout on the hud is about).

For the trees,  what biome are you in?  Forest (lots of Pines?)   and snow have some pretty dense foliage (again for the hiding XD ) 

Right now,  all saves are one big autosave.  Even though your char isn't saving the world is.  If you back up the "autosave.sav" file in your save folder, that essentially saves your progress.  OR hit F7 to use the save slots.
Travis

Dev
Reply with quote  #15 
Lots of pines yeah.

Stealth isnt the issue imo. The inability to see while walking is. Going prone or crouching is utterly unnecessary bc the grass is so tall right now.
nacon

3D
Reply with quote  #16 
I'm definitely in agreement with Travis on the above points. Special emphasis on:

• Desert biome seems less stable? I had a hard freeze in there.
  • Lighting is rough. The map is way too dark to see what's going on in the forest.
  • Grass poking through floors is a bummer. Any way to auto remove that?
  • The foliage is super thick... I can't really see anything because it's much higher than "waist" height. It makes trying to get around pretty frustrating

Other questions:

• do extractors do anything yet? I put a few down but they don't do stuff
  • do power generators do anything? I built one but I'm not sure if it's doing anything
  • I was unable to place any turrets. are these meant to be functional, yet? Are they automatic or do they have to be manned?
GearStormTrooper

Administrator
Reply with quote  #17 
Can you post your logs from the /saves/ folder?  What was happening when you had a crash in the desert biome?  And my apoligies to Travis for the goose chase on the HW.  Althoguth

I'll look into the lighting,  the engine is kinda crappy for raising ambient lighting but not impossible. 

The Grass.  I remodeled and shortened the grass.  I'll post a picture before the next build to make sure it works better for yall.

Poking through the floor is a bit more tricky.  I've got a couple of options to look at. 

Extractors and Power Generators don't do anything yet.  Good question.  I've got to build the automation system.  Wasn't a priority because we're polishing the look and feel.

The turrets should place and work but they do have to be manned.  I'll look at that too.
GearStormTrooper

Administrator
Reply with quote  #18 
Next release should address these issues.  Except for the grass.  One thing to keep in mind, there are NO penalties for moving blocks in gearstorm.  If you pick a block up (with Alt Fire)  your can relocate it temporarily then one hit on the grass with the build gun will clear it.  Then you can put your block back.

If you notice,  when you pick a block up,  and don't replace it, the block goes into your inventory.
Travis

Dev
Reply with quote  #19 
Where is the next release? Is it the same dropbox link from before? I can't seem to find a new version or downloads thread on the forums and the file dates on the dropbox directory aren't enough for me to figure it out.
GearStormTrooper

Administrator
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacon
I'm definitely in agreement with Travis on the above points. Special emphasis on:

• Desert biome seems less stable? I had a hard freeze in there.
  • Lighting is rough. The map is way too dark to see what's going on in the forest.
  • Grass poking through floors is a bummer. Any way to auto remove that?
  • The foliage is super thick... I can't really see anything because it's much higher than "waist" height. It makes trying to get around pretty frustrating

Other questions:

• do extractors do anything yet? I put a few down but they don't do stuff
  • do power generators do anything? I built one but I'm not sure if it's doing anything
  • I was unable to place any turrets. are these meant to be functional, yet? Are they automatic or do they have to be manned?

Update on this.  Our most likely culprit is a engine bug resulting from a collision of our player's camera springarm and the destructible mesh pieces.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/721829/frequent-crashes-in-sethitresultfromshapeandfacein.html

The Cacti use the destuctible mesh feature.  Do you happen to recall if it crashed after destroying or harvesting a cactus?

Working on platers at the moment,  all machines operate without power for now but power is coming.  Since its a hurdle/rate limiter I figured we'd get some other balance issues out of the way first.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.