GearStorm Forum

Author   Comment  
GodParticle

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm sure this is by design, but it looks like our blocks are disappearing really early.  It looks like around 274 meters things start to disappear.  
20180603214112_1.jpg  Then by 300 everything is gone:

20180603214145_1.jpg  I think this will make it really hard to fly around a city or see if from a distance.

GodParticle

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
UPDATE

After more testing I see this does NOT happen with a locally hosted game, it only happens with dedicated servers.

Also, it is happening with all models/actors, not just the high-rise ones, the ones used in the bases and every other block I tried also disappears at the same distance, only on dedicated server, locally hosted did not have the issue.
GodParticle

Administrator
Reply with quote  #3 
Ok, after a conversation with Brian and some research, I have a fix for this issue.  First I found this reference:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Gameplay/Networking/Actors/Relevancy

That talked about this:

If AGameNetworkManager is set to use distance based relevancy, the Actor is relevant if it is closer than the net cull distance.

And I saw in our C:\UnrealEngine-4.18.3\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\GameNetworkManager.cpp this line:

bUseDistanceBasedRelevancy = true;

So I found this in our C:\UnrealEngine-4.18.3\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Actor.cpp:

NetCullDistanceSquared = 225000000.0f;

Not wanting to change this for all actors, I decided to add this to our C:\Users\Shawn\Perforce\shawn_DESKTOP-NFDIRV7_2406\Source\ShooterGame\Private\XiBlock.cpp:

NetCullDistanceSquared = 3600000000.0f;

In the "AXiBlock::AXiBlock()" function at the top.

Results so far seem to be positive at just over 1Km in-game our block are persistent:

20180609111928_1.jpg 

20180609112013_1.jpg 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.